Most of my readers might have noticed that I love to cook, make sweets, and bake.Which is why I am constantly blogging about recipes, cooking, eating, and being chubby 🙂 Well shocker!!!, This is another one of those posts. So years ago during college I purchased a wonderful little ice cream maker and a Ben and Jerry’s ice cream cookbook and set out to make all the recipes. The machine had served me well, and my roommates loved my inventions. One day my husband and I were in the mood to make ice cream. We found the recipe we wanted and bought the supplies and were all excited, and the machine would not turned on!! We were so disappointed. I had all the ingredients!!!!!! If you know me, you know that I am resourceful and never give up. So I scoured the internet for a way to make yummy creamy ice cream without a machine and I found the ultimate technique. Its soft, creamy, and only takes 20 min max! We call it bag ice cream!
1. Make your favorite ice cream recipe.
2. Put the ice cream mix in a quart zip lock bag, make sure that it is sealed!
3. Take the ice cream bag and put it in a larger bag. it is helpful if this larger bag seals but you can get away with one that doesn’t as long as it can be closed by some means .
4. Fill the larger bag with ice and some salt ( about 2tbsp). Now cover that bag with a towel
5. This is the fun part, Knead and move the ice cream bag inside the larger bag continuously. The ice will freeze the mix and the kneading will make it creamy. There is no exact timing for this process, its done when you reach the consistency you want. It gets pretty stiff if you work it enough. Its similar to soft serve. We usually race but my husband ALWAYS wins lol. Its really fun and take around 15 minutes.
6. Then eat it !!! Sprinkle some nuts or candies. Its really yummy.
Sample Ice Cream Recipe
Ben and Jerrys Vanilla ice cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1. Whip the eggs and sugar together with a whisk until fluffy (but not firm).
2. Add the rest of the ingredients into the eggs and sugar.
3. Whisk together until well mixed.
4. Place in bag and follow previous directions.
Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia
1/4 cup shaved semisweet chocolate
1/4 cup fresh bing cherry, , halved and pitted (, you may use canned cherries, but be sure to drain the syrup)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream or 2 cups whipping cream
1 cup milk
1 Place the shaved chocolate flakes and the cherries in separate bowls; cover and refrigerate.
2 Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
3 Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.
4 Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend; add chilled chocolate and cherries and stir to combine.
5 Transfer the mixture to a bag and follow above directions.
Chocolate Ice Cream
1 1/2 ounces unsweetened cocoa powder, approximately 1/2 cup
3 cups half-and-half
1 cup heavy cream
8 large egg yolks
9 ounces sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Place the cocoa powder along with 1 cup of the half-and-half into a medium saucepan over medium heat and whisk to combine. Add the remaining half-and-half and the heavy cream. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.
2. In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about 1/3 of the cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F. Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract. Place the mixture into the refrigerator and once it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40 degrees F or below.
3. Pour into a bag and follow above directions for bag ice cream.